[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:13:36 -0700

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 23:51 +0100, Nicholas Blachford wrote:
> I mentioned I had some suggestions and I was going to send an email.
> Don't know if anyone was waiting for it but if you were, I should
> point out that I've changed strategy.  Since I'll be at BeGeistert
> this week end I'm going to present them instead :-)
>
> As for the discussion on not making it easy to make distros, that is
> up to the developers.

Since it was nobody else but the developers who stated this stance --
both in the past as well as on this thread -- what is exactly the point
of your observation?

> However, if you deliberately make it difficult
> to remove trademarks it could then be argued you are not making enough
> effort to protect them.

> I don't know about trademark law but you are legally required to
> protect copyrights, you lose them if you don't.  If the same is true
> for trademarks, by making it difficult to remove them, you are
> potentially handing any trademark infringer a *very* powerful weapon
> to use against you.

I think you misunderstood: this is not about making it easier or more
difficult to remove anything. It is simply a matter of who does the work
that has to go into creating a distro, and that should be, naturally,
the distro maker. This would be no ground for violating a trademark; if
somebody made such claim, it would only be an indefensible excuse.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki