[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:42:30 -0700

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Instead of this focus on distro guidelines, I think that a well thought
> out trademark policy in line with your strategy should suffice; of
> course, there would be a distro/spin/remix component to it.

I strongly agree with this... for example, I have now seen a couple
requests for creating Haiku-branded materials in the absence of any
real trademark policy about this. I think we need to add some
substantial trademark policy guidelines that extend to usage of the
the name/logo in derivative artwork, website domains, merchandise
(private and/or commercial), etc.

Derivatives of the OS/software itself should certainly have a section
devoted to it, but I think as Jorge points out, we have other holes to
discuss and close as well.

> Anyway, a lot of thought has to go into something like this, and I don't
> have much time right now; if somebody else comes up with something, I
> will provide my input then.

It's probably worth taking a look at some of the other FOSS project
trademark policies out there - Mozilla's comes to mind as a pretty
strong foundation, as they have aggressively trademarked Firefox and
the associated artwork, with pretty clear policies put in place.

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html

Perhaps we could put stronger focus on "asking permission" for
questionable uses such as distributions for purposes of trademark
policy and thus put the onus on the distro-creator to either remove
trademarks, or ask permission and allow discussion to ensue from
there.

- Urias