  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:44:45 +0000

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:23:15PM -0000, Daniel Webb wrote:
> > In that case I dont see the need to support integer i/o, Obvously 32bit
> > float is neccesary, and arguably 64bit float, but who really still writes
> > code in integer format?
> >
> > - Steve
>
> There's no reason to omit it is there ? Maybe integer sample format will
> become fashionable in a few years. Floating point is not absolutely better
> than Integers, just different (And probably easier to code).

Its possible to write code that will work with 32 or 64 bit fp data with
care, its not possible (in the general case) to write software that will
work with int or float.

> > The problem is not to know first if we process float 32bits or integer 16
> > bits. The problem is first to define the communication protocol which will
> > help the host to implement this plug-in and the third part to program it .
>
> Absolutely, then Steve or anyone can ignore the interfaces they don't use or
> require.

But host authors can't, or they will be only able to use a subset of
plugins. I dont think its a good idea to include features that will not be
used.