  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:51:57 +0000

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:03:53 -0500, gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I suggest that we specifically add "academic computer music researchers,
> developers, and composers" to the audience list, because this in fact is
> where much of the basic stuff has come from (one notable exception: MIDI;
> I'm sure there are others!).

I am in that category, as well as a developer of conventional plugins.

I think its very important not to try to predict or anticipate the
development direction of computer music research. IMHO the best thing to
do is to design a plugin standard that is useful now, and accept that it
will have a limited shelf life, rather for aiming for something that will
be optimal a few years later.

CORBA (for example) did that, and ended up being sidelined, because by the
time CORBA became a low enough overhead to be generally useful everyone
was using XML.

Its perfectly possible that in a few years time computer music researchers
will be using PWM instead of PCM, but theres no point adding that to the
API, because equally we might not ;)

- Steve