  • From: "Silver Blade" <silverblade_uk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:12:06 -0000

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:18:22 -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Questions and (my) answers follow.  Feel free to pose additional
questions
> > and answers, too.
> >
> > 1. Who are our target users/customers?
> >
> > Users of all MIDI sequencers and DAW systems.  This includes "shrink
> > wrapped" software that is installed a desktop O/Ss such as Windows, Mac
and
> > Linux, but also includes DAWs that run embedded in a box (eg, Fairlight,
> > Mackie D8B), and lastly includes users of DSP that run in appliances,
such
> > as game consoles or even standalone synthesizers.
>
> I'd like to limit it to only hardware that has 32 and 64 bit float
> support, not all things do (eg. palmtops, some games consoles).

It'd be good if many different bit-depths could be supported (so low-spec
machines could still use the GMPI.) However, I think that working with
floats would be very beneficial due to the easy scaling (multiply by 0.5 for
half amplitude, for example.) So maybe it's best to work with floats only.

> > - Software based MIDI synthesizers.
> > - MIDI processors, such as quantizers, transposers, style generators.
> > - Audio to MIDI conversion.
>
> Can we say "music data", rather than MIDI, for now. Personally I'm not
> convinced that it makes sense to have MIDI in the API.

I think if plugins make use of MIDI data, and if MIDI and audio I/O is
encapsulated in GMPI, it's a good idea to have MIDI included. But I agree -
call it "music data". I'm going to in my music programs from now on. As well
as making it more generalised, it also is a bit more user-friendly.
Otherwise it's a bit like saying "I'm going to go on the TCP/IP now and
check my email"!

-SB