  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:44:27 +0000

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:00:53 -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The palmtops that will be most useful for audio work will also be the ones
> that support floatingpoint arithmetic.
> <<<
>
> Well, you won't get any argument from me about the ease and power of
> floating-point for DSP.
>
> But, let's not forget that ProTools TDM is fixed-point!  Maybe Digi will
> decide to join this party, I sincerely hope they do, and if they we need to
> address fixed point DSPs.

My understanding is that TDM plugins are usualy written in asm, so they
wont be source compatible with host based plugins in any case. I'm not
sure what the advantage of using the same API on a TDM board as a PC is.
Developer familiarity possibly, but thats a bit nebulous.

A more benficial thing that could happen is that Digi could reflect the
interface to tthier TDM hardware /though/ GPMI, so other GMPI apps can use
TDM plugins maybe, but they can do that perfectly well without using integer
i/o.