  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:03:53 -0500

I suggest that we specifically add "academic computer music researchers,
developers, and composers" to the audience list, because this in fact is
where much of the basic stuff has come from (one notable exception: MIDI;
I'm sure there are others!).

It has pained me and caused me practical difficulties that, for example,
computer music people develop on Unix and run command line applications,
while most other musicians develop on Mac or Windows and run GUI
applications, causing an enormous unnecessary duplication of effort in the
basic infrastructure. It took years for the phase vocoder to run on PCs,
and it took years for decent overdubbing to appear on Unix.

Now that home computers are workstations, there is no technical reason for
this divide to continue. After 20 years of experience, it should now be
possible to provide a refined implementation of the "abstract parse node as
unit generator for synchronous data flow graphs" idea that would suit both
audiences just fine.

That would mean, for example, that graduate students developing new DSP
algorithms could very easily produce gmpi interfaces for their work, just
as they sometimes produce Csound opcodes today.

For this to work, gmpi MUST provide a refined, abstract, flexible, yet
efficient representation of music that does not break experimental
composers' imaginations. Of course, herding cats... leading horses to
water....

From: <mo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > 2. Who are our target developers?
> >
> > Anyone who develops software to process or synthesize audio or MIDI.
>
> Meaning that we wish to keep it simple to attrackt hobby developers?

One of the success-points of the VST SDK is it's simplicity, imho,
hence a large amount of free plugins...

greetings,

 - bram

--