  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:07:46 -0500

>What about MIDI/music data editors and wave editors?
>It will be convenient to plug 3rd party piano roll or step sequencer to MIDI
>block of your modern super-sampler.It often nessesary to run wave editor
>plug-in to edit loop points etc.
>Such modularity may reduce time-to-market (especially for multi-platform
>products) and it gives opportunity for end user to work in familiar editors
>everywhere.

i think we are discussing the audience for GMPI.

this issue falls under questions of what kinds of plugins to support,
in particular whether to support just the in-process model, or to
support out-of-process model. for those who are not clear on these
terms, the former covers all(?) existing windows/macos plugin APIs,
where code is loaded into the process context/address space of the
host and executed there. the latter covers a design involving
inter-process communication between the host and "plugin" ("client" is
perhaps a better term here).

i would suggest that we delay discussion on that issue and remain
focused on the audience. defining the developer side as "developers of
audio, MIDI and some kinds of video software" is good enough for me.

--p