[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: "Michael Stauffer" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GMPI list" <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:56:57 -0500

Req 33:   GMPI must provide a way for a plugin to control a timeline.
Hosts may choose not to allow this.

So to clarify, would this apply to both realtime tempo sync and offline
manipulation of the timeline? It sounds like both from the discussion
thus far.

Would time signatures be included in the timeline?

Being able to set the host's tempo/beat map and time signatures would be
a great feature for us. Like Paul Davis suggested, audio-only apps can
take advantage of musical time for grid-based operations like
time-stretching, etc. Our software will be able to generally determine
time signatures too, and so would be interested to set them in the hosts
timeline.

If the requirement applied specifically to the _musical_ aspects of the
timeline, then apps like Premiere could easily ignore it, as suggested
before.

From the host-developer perspective, are there reasons NOT to require
support for musical timeline manipulation from the plug-in? For realtime
purposes, any host that can sync to clocks or ReWire should be able to
sync to analogous messages from a plug-in. It seems to me that setting
the tempo map or metrical grid offline from the plug-in would be
relatively straightforward, but I could easily be missing something.

Could the requirment for host to allow timeline manipulation from the
plug-in be a "must" if it were restricted to musical timeline
information?

Cheers,
Michael