[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:05:37 -0800

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:47:12AM -0500, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a question about some of the terminology used in this section.  I
> think we need some kind of glossary, or different language.

I've tried to avooid needing a glossary to read the requirements, but maybe
we should put a brief "definitions" section at the head of each requirements
section?

> > Req 29:   Every GMPI plugin must be associated with exactly one timeline
> controller.
>
> What is a "timeline controller."?

Good question.  We've talked about at least 3 timelines, possibly 4.

What if we add something like this, wrt timeline and control scope:

Sample time: Sample time is assumed to be global to a graph.  If a host
desires to provide multiple sample rates, it can provide multiple graphs and
bridge between them.  Each graph has at least one timeline controller.

Music time: Music time is defined by the timeline controller.  The timeline
controller determines the tempo and transport state of the musical timeline.
Hosts which do not support music time should provide a constant tempo (such
as 120 beats per minute, standardized by the GMPI implementation team).

Metronome time: Metronome time is driven by the timeline controller.

UST Time (if we need it) : UST is independant of any host-provided timeline.

First, do these sound reasonable?  They aren't really requirements, but they
could be added to the details.  How do we best capture the requirements?