[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:07:10 -0500

>FIXME: The group talked about UST time. Do we really need UST? If so, what
>for? What minimum granularity? Can UST-time wrap? How is this handled?
>
>--> IIRC, UST time will be needed to sync GMPI hosts (plugins?) connected
>over a (global) network. UST makes sure there is 1 unique "wall clock"
>regardless of where the host is located in the world.

We also need UST to sync to GMPI plugins that are not doing audio
themselves but handle streaming data running on another clock (video
being the most example). GMPI itself doesn't need to know anything
about what they are doing internally, but if they cannot get UST as a
"mediator" between the audio sample clock and their [video] clock,
they can't function correctly.

>Req 29:   Every GMPI plugin must be associated with exactly one timeline
>controller.

>--> Maybe replace "must be associated with" by "is driven by" to emphasize
>it's about a timeline INPUT, not output?

some people have already requested that a plugin be able to set a timeline.

>--> I guess the "may choose not to allow this" is because this will be too
>complicated to handle for simple hosts? I'm just a bit worried that this
>might lead to the "no you can't use this plugin in host X, because it
>doesn't support property A, but hosts Y and Z do support it" phenomenon.
>But, it might really be too difficult to handle this in simple hosts...
>Anyone here who can estimate the difficulties that may justify the "may
>choose" instead of "must" approach?

an excellent point. when an optional feature concerns powerful
functionality (versus, for example, in-place versus 2 buffer
processing), it seems important to ask if it actually should be
optional at all.

--p