[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:58:10 -0800

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 03:03:05PM -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>       This is definitely true, but Premiere does not have musical time. We
> have no sequencer-like operations. In that sense we are like a "pure"
> DAW, that only deals with audio files. You can't have free control of
> that kind of playback without real-time resampling, which for video is
> still rather expensive :)
>       So to say that we must support plugins that control musical time is
>       OK, as long as it is OK that we don't support musical time at all :)

So this is an interesting point.  If you don't have music time, there are a
whole set of plugins which can't operate - tempo-syned effects,
specifically.

Either you *must* support some notion of music time (even if it is a tempo
of 1) or we need to never rely on music time.

All tempo-synced effects will have to check if the host can do music time, and
if it can't, fall back on something else.  Yuck.

Maybe it is simpler to get rid of music time and metronome time, and just
force all plugins to convert tempo into real time (milliseconds) and such.