[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:03:05 -0700

This is definitely true, but Premiere does not have musical time. We have no sequencer-like operations. In that sense we are like a "pure" DAW, that only deals with audio files. You can't have free control of that kind of playback without real-time resampling, which for video is still rather expensive :)
So to say that we must support plugins that control musical time is OK, as long as it is OK that we don't support musical time at all :)

Mike

Paul Davis wrote:

There is simply no way that Premiere (not a simple host) is going to have a GMPI plugin controlling time in our graph. As an audio/video app, it is already a difficult task to negotiate timing. We have video devices, audio devices, display devices, and all of them want to be the master timing controller. If we have to allow some (audio) plugin(s) to also jump into the mix, that is too much. If phrased as a must, that would be a show-stopper for us.

Mike, I can only guess at how Premiere's architecture is organized
with respect to time, but I would make this observation based on
Ardour's own video/audio connectivity (the video in this being
animatics rather than pure video, but the principle is the same):
having a plugin control the *musical* timeline (bars|beats|ticks)
doesn't inherently have to have anything to do with inter-media sync.

when a plugin changes the position of the bar lines/points from a
musical perspective, it doesn't have any impact on the timeline
measured in SMPTE frames, or audio frames, or minutes:seconds.

this is why UST is so important as a "medium of exchange" between
different data streams. if you can always map from a time Tm (specific
to media m) to UST and back again, then you can also always map from
Tm to Tn (where m and n are different) media, as long as you have the
corresponding UST times available.

given that GMPI is an audio/music plugin API, it would be a mistake to
allow plugins to control any sense of absolute time, partly for the
reasons you describe (i.e. the plugin cannot possibly understand all
the interacting factors). but allowing a plugin to "contribute" its
notion of musical time seems pretty innocuous to me. i may well be
missing something the size of greenland here, however :)

--p

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems