[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: "Michael Stauffer" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:32:22 -0500

>>  For realtime
>> purposes, any host that can sync to clocks or ReWire should be able to
>> sync to analogous messages from a plug-in.
>
>Latency. A graph can't sync to a plugin within that same graph.
> At least
>not a 'hard sync' like Rewire or MIDI clock.
>  On the other hand, a plugin could do a reasonable job of keeping the
>host's tempo in time, but there would be a certain lag due to the graph
>latency.
>
>Best Regards
>Jeff

I see. So there'd have to be a GMPI 'hard sync' mode of some sort that
would bypass the regular graph processing to go directly the host, but
that would start to defeat the advantages of a generalized, modular graph
approach, eh?

Section 4.31 of the proposal
(http://www.gmpi-plugins.org/gmpi/requirements.php#well_known) suggests
that Well Known Controls would allow realtime communication. It sounds
like the realtime accuracy will be subject to the graph latency? I guess
that's pretty much how it would have to be.

Cheers,
Michael