[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.9. Time - opening arguments

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:16:44 +0100

FIXME: The group talked about UST time. Do we really need UST? If so, what
for? What minimum granularity? Can UST-time wrap? How is this handled?

--> IIRC, UST time will be needed to sync GMPI hosts (plugins?) connected
over a (global) network. UST makes sure there is 1 unique "wall clock"
regardless of where the host is located in the world.

Req 29:   Every GMPI plugin must be associated with exactly one timeline
controller.

--> Maybe replace "must be associated with" by "is driven by" to emphasize
it's about a timeline INPUT, not output?

Req 30:   GMPI must allow more than one timeline controller in a graph.
Hosts may choose not to allow this.

Req 33:   GMPI must provide a way for a plugin to control a timeline. Hosts
may choose not to allow this.

--> I guess the "may choose not to allow this" is because this will be too
complicated to handle for simple hosts? I'm just a bit worried that this
might lead to the "no you can't use this plugin in host X, because it
doesn't support property A, but hosts Y and Z do support it" phenomenon.
But, it might really be too difficult to handle this in simple hosts...
Anyone here who can estimate the difficulties that may justify the "may
choose" instead of "must" approach?

Koen