[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:51:02 -0800

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:54:57PM -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>       I never meant that one gesture could not affect multiple parameters.
>       In fact it should be able to. However, what I meant by there not being
> gesture polyphony was that one parameter could not be simultaneously
> part of multiple gestures. I cannot see a good argument for trying to
> support that.

There is no reason two source could not TRY to do that, but the host should
mediate.  Some rule is needed like:

The host mediates multiple senders to a single receiver.  If two senders try
to start a gesture at the same time, the host must pick one to allow.  If a
gesture is in progress for a control and a new gesture is attempted, the new
gesture must be determined to have lower or higher priority than the
existing gesture (based on the source).  Lower priority gestures are not
sent to the control.  Higher priority gestures are sent to the control,
effectively interrupting the existing gesture.