[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:33:15 -0700

Chris Grigg wrote:

Tim said:

Also: Mike (and anyone else), what do you think about the other issue Tim's been exploring, i.e. is there any need to limit the number of event sources that are allowed to talk to a given control/target?

I think this is a non-issue. Somewhere in the host a merge has to happen. Take the example where you have two MIDI controllers, a keyboard and some sliders. If the data comes in on two ports, the host could know the difference between them, but for how long? At some point the data becomes parsed for internal use. I have been trying to see why you would want to try to preserve the source ID, and I can't see it. If they are both changing the same parameter, then what the user hears is the effect of the merged data. If they undo, they don't expect to undo half of what they heard being recorded, ending up with a result that they have never heard. They expect the data from both sources to be undone in a single action.
So along with my suggestion to not have gesture ID's, the host simply starts a gesture for a parameter and then pumps down the merged data.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems