[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:24:17 -0800

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 11:06:35PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> >- Events can be marked as the beginning or end of a gesture, for the
> >purpose of facilitating automation recording by plugins. A marked
> >event is otherwise identical to an unmarked event, and the gesture
> >markings can be ignored by the plugin.
>
> This has a lot going for it, including removing any need for a
> 'kWantsGestureEvents' mechanism.  Not preventing a plug from doing

I don't think a "wants gestures" flag is needed.  You get gestures.  If you
don't want them, ignore them.

> do) was part of my original concern.  Is it OK with everyone that
> there's no bulletproof way to signal that changes to more than one
> control are intended to be part of the same gesture?

One of the big wins I see in gestures is the ability to CORRECTLY undo
something like an X/Y movement.  Without that, I think the simple
event-interval-timeout algorithm or something simple is just fine.