[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:31:18 +0100

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 01.04, Mike Berry wrote:
[...]
>       I think that we definitely need gesture start and end events. I
> don't think that we can say that only the host needs them, as
> opposed to plugins, because of nested hosts. It is possible to
> conceive of automation being recorded at several different host
> layers simultaneously, or at least not at the top host level.

When we discussed XAP and GUIs, someone (possibly me) had this idea
about using either an ACTIVE control, or a sideband feature with the
same function. The ACTIVE output would change state whenever a knob
was grabbed or released, to indicated the status of the respective
control output. Hosts/automation would check for this, and then
decide what to do about it; normally, switching between prerecorded
data and live input, recording the latter in the process, if desired.

Normal plugins wouldn't know or care about this, although it would
obviously be *possible* to have ACTIVE control/sideband inputs on any
plugins. I just don't see what would a *normal* plugin (as opposed to
an automation/manual switch) do with this information.

As to the undo stuff that's been mentioned, I fail to see what that
has to do with normal plugins. Sequencer plugins that can record
input from the GUI parts of other plugins can obviously use "ACTIVE"
info to group events, but in that case, it's a nice UI trick ("use
GMPI events instead of platform/toolkit specific events") and has
nothing to do with GMPI.