[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:56:43 -0800

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:45:28PM -0500, Michael Gogins wrote:
> GMPI shall provide to plugins all information present in scores and
> sequences. This presupposes some agreement as to score and sequence
> representation (extended MIDI, NIFF, Music XML, just a list of possible data
> elements, etc.).

> GMPI shall provide to plugins all data used by hosts to control plugins.

I am trying to follow your thinking, but I just keep getting confoozled.  I
*think* I get what you are getting at with this - can you give me some more
concrete examples?

> GMPI shall link gestural data to the note or note to which the gesture
> controls by note ID.

How does gesture data tie into notes?  I though gesture start/end was mostly
to give the host some clues about associated events.  If I click and drag a
knob in the GUI, how does that tie to a note?

> Plugins shall be able to instruct the host to filter incoming events. Some
> plugins may request only note on-note off type data. Others may request page
> turns, full dynamic markings, and changes of meter.

This is the notion I have been describing as "subscribing to" or "asking
for".  I think that THIS is the fundamental point of the whole XAP design,
and I think it makes a lot of sense for GMPI.