[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:30:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Hockin wrote:
> Another open issue is 'control gesture'.  I think it was Vincent who
> wanted this.  He wanted the idea of providing a way to say "all these
> events are one gesture".  I think it is mostly useful for things like
> 'Undo' features.  Obviously MIDI doesn't have any such concept, and
> automation doesn't need it.  MouseDown / MouseUp map nicely to it, for
> GUI stuff.
>
> Anyone recall what this was about?  I'll troll the archives a bit.

I think that I was one of the people asking for this earlier.  I'm pretty
sure that I remember writing long emails about this, but I'm sick and
don't feel like searching the archives, so I'll try to be brief:

You're right that the "gesture" thing is good for undo stuff.  It is also
necessary for doing what some call "touch" automation.  That's something
that some multi-tracker apps let you do.  It means that you are recording
automation and the existing state or automation is being read back, but
then if you start to make a change to a parameter, that change is recorded
for as long as the gesture lasts, and then the parameter value snaps back
to where it was once you end the gesture.

The mouse-down / mouse-up thing is a good example for GUIs, but I think
that it's a bad idea to relegate the availability of describing gestures
only from GUIs.  This is something that the AU API did initially and now
they have obsoleted the old system with a new system that is not tied to
GUIs and mouse clicks.  They learned their lessen and now have some legacy
junk to deal with, so let's not let GMPI make the same mistake!  :)

You mention that MIDI obviously doesn't have this gesture concept, but
actually, it's common to work around that with "time out" approaches
anyway, so that's another reason to not tie gesture-defining to GUIs.
What some software does is have a max time-out duration for MIDI
continuous controller events to define gestures.  In other words, if you
move a CC slider gradually, making changes of at least some amount every 6
ms interval, then they are all seen as part of a gesture.  But a change
that occurs more than 6 ms after the previous is the start of a new
gesture, and the previous one gets closed as soon as that 6 ms (the
time-out amount) elapsed after a previous change.  Ummm, I hope that was
clear, I'm not feeling too well, sorry.

Anyway, these I think are most of the reasons why I have lobbied for the
gesture stuff.

Marc

http://photos.yahoo.com/