[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:02:16 +0100

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 11.45, Steve Harris wrote:
[...]
> I think its clear that we need timestamps for note events, but they
> are a different beast.

Why are note events different? Does that imply that (other) controls
are only meant for "slow" operations that aren't as time critical as
triggering notes?

I think such assumptions lead to designs that force users to resort to
destructive audio editing where automation *should* be able to do the
job.

Obviously, there are many cases where it doesn't make sense to
implement fully sample accurate controls, accurate ramping and stuff,
but that's plugin implementation dependent. It's not something we can
decide on here and hardwire into the API.