[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:18:33 -0800

David said:

Steve said: [...]
 I think its clear that we need timestamps for note events, but they
 are a different beast.

Why are note events different? Does that imply that (other) controls are only meant for "slow" operations that aren't as time critical as triggering notes?

I think such assumptions lead to designs that force users to resort to
destructive audio editing where automation *should* be able to do the
job.

Obviously, there are many cases where it doesn't make sense to
implement fully sample accurate controls, accurate ramping and stuff,
but that's plugin implementation dependent. It's not something we can
decide on here and hardwire into the API.

Seems like for simplicity it would be way better to have a single event timing model, and treat all event types the same way. Since timestamping is clearly needed for at least one of these (notes) then you'd get that for free for all the other event types. I guess the question is whether the group believes that any performance boost from supporting non-timestamped control-setting events would outweigh the burden of supporting two different kinds of event timing models.