[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:30:10 -0500

I guess the question is whether the group believes that any performance
boost from supporting non-timestamped control-setting events would outweigh
the burden of supporting two different kinds of event timing models.
<<<

My $0.02:

I would prefer one timestamping model that could describe just-in-time
events as well as "streamed" events.  (To me an event means a parameter
change or a note-on/note-off... isn't a note merely a kind of parameter?<g>)

DirectX supports 2 different kinds of event setting (one via SetParam, and
the other via envelopes), and it really gets complicated.  You can get
situations where envelopes can fight with just-in-time changes, and it's not
clear who should win.  Maybe that problem doesn't go away in a single
timestamped model, but at least with the simpler model you can say, "the
last one in, wins."

That said, I also like the idea of shape events, to give a compact way to
specify smooth parameter transitions.  Hopefully this can be made to work in
a timestamped model.