[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:41:07 -0800

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:46:08PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> Ah. Sorry, your meaning wasn't clear to me... and still isn't.  A)
> Are you saying this is only an issue if we make ramped events a
> requirement, or is it still an issue even without ramped events?  B)

I think it only matters if we define ramped events.  It's there now to
differentiate from ramped events, mostly.

> This sounds an awful lot like what I just asked about, i.e. is what
> we're really saying that some controls want to be able to set their
> own maximum rate of change per unit time?  If it's this, then it's an
> issue independent of ramped events.

That's a separate issue.  My first inclination is that this is the plugin's
choice to implement.  Right?  Wrong?

> >How about 'immediate events' for the term?  Or just a 'SET' event as
> >opposed
> >to a RAMP event?  That was how designated them in XAP discussions.
>
> A) I thought we weren't agreed on whether ramp events are needed yet,
> so how can we do this before that?

Well, we should probably put a requirement it if we do define ramped events.
If we decide not to do ramped events, then maybe it is extraneous.

> B) I know this is the Events section, but please address the
> possibility of ramping as a trait of how a control responds to
> events, not just as an event type.  Doing this would allow controls
> to protect themselves from control surfaces whose natural actions
> (throwing a switch etc., large param changes, etc) might be so
> drastic as to mess up the signal absent a bit of smoothing.

I added a small bit of text saying that a (SET, NOW, Instantaneous,
whatever) event might actually be subject to a fast smoothing.  This is
different than ramped events, though.  A ramped event is more like saying
"Mr. Plugin, please set parameter X to value Y over the next Z samples".
The plugin can then smoothly interpolate the change, rather than receiving a
series of closely spaced discrete events.

Now - do we need something like that?  Doesn't AU have it?