[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:45:10 +0000

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 04:58:52PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> http://www.gmpi-plugins.org/gmpi/requirements.php#sec_3.8

An observation: if wa have timestamped events then we need ramps -
otherwise the value as insufficient smenatics.

In a system like VST or LADSPA the parameter value semantics (at least by
convention) are that at the sitart of the block the parameter has the old
value and at the end of the block it has the new value.

If you just have pint values then the plugin has no way to know what was
intended by that - should it be that value at the poing in time (logical,
but not possible to handle in general), or should it start moving to that
value at that time (illogical and hard to interpret, but implementable).

<devils-advocate-mode>

do we need timestamped parameters?

VST and LADSPA get on OK without them, and it allows plugins to apply
thier own ramps to parameter changes trivally.

</devils-advocate-mode>

I think its clear that we need timestamps for note events, but they are a
different beast.