[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:46:08 -0800

>Tim:
OK. It needs better wording, then. I wanted to make clear the difference
>between events which set a parameter value NOW versus events that ramp a
> >parameters value.

Chris:
Use 'immediately (at the start of the first process() call following
> the plug's receipt of the event)' instead of 'now'?

Tim:
That's not right either.  The events are timestamped, just like every event.
The difference is this:  once the timestamp comes due: is the plugin
expected to set the parameter value right away (possibly a fast declick, or
something) or is the plugin expected to ramp the parameter over a time
period?

Ah. Sorry, your meaning wasn't clear to me... and still isn't. A) Are you saying this is only an issue if we make ramped events a requirement, or is it still an issue even without ramped events? B) This sounds an awful lot like what I just asked about, i.e. is what we're really saying that some controls want to be able to set their own maximum rate of change per unit time? If it's this, then it's an issue independent of ramped events.

How about 'immediate events' for the term?  Or just a 'SET' event as opposed
to a RAMP event?  That was how designated them in XAP discussions.

A) I thought we weren't agreed on whether ramp events are needed yet, so how can we do this before that?
B) I know this is the Events section, but please address the possibility of ramping as a trait of how a control responds to events, not just as an event type. Doing this would allow controls to protect themselves from control surfaces whose natural actions (throwing a switch etc., large param changes, etc) might be so drastic as to mess up the signal absent a bit of smoothing.

-- Chris G.