[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:37:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Hockin wrote:
> I added a small bit of text saying that a (SET, NOW, Instantaneous,
> whatever) event might actually be subject to a fast smoothing.  This is
> different than ramped events, though.  A ramped event is more like
> saying "Mr. Plugin, please set parameter X to value Y over the next Z
> samples".  The plugin can then smoothly interpolate the change, rather
> than receiving a series of closely spaced discrete events.
>
> Now - do we need something like that?  Doesn't AU have it?

I think that we do need it.  Yeah, AU has that and so does MAS.  I
personally haven't taken advantage of it in any of my stuff, but I know
that there are developers who think that it's important for some of their
stuff.

In some ways, though, I think that the necessity of ramping is something
that only the plugin itself can evaluate, on a per-parameter basis.
Because, yeh know, it just won't matter for some parameters, or some may
not be able to be ramped efficiently at all.  I guess that's why AU has a
flag in the paremeter meta-data stuff that says "can be ramped" so that
you can specifically mark which parameters will handle ramp changes.
Maybe that would be a good idea for GMPI?

Marc

http://photos.yahoo.com/