[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:14:55 -0700

Steve Harris wrote:

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 09:50:44 -0700, Mike Berry wrote:

I that sitatuion I would expect the modular GMPI host to handle the
touch automation, and hand pre-merged control data to the sequencer
plugin.

What if the modular host does not even record automation and only the sequencer plugin does? If you don't pass down the gesture data, you force all automation to always be handled at the top layer. This would be a significant blow to nestability.

I dont see it that way - either all hosts handle automation, or none do
(it would be too confusing otherwise). I dont think we want every plugin
that receives events handling its own automation. Granted the "modular
GMPI host" is small by host standards, but it should still perform all the
host functions.

I don't think it makes it more complicated - I actually think it can make it less complicated. Lets say that you want to write a host which is nothing but a graph and some audio IO. Then you want to string together several instances of sequencer plugins inside this graph. Since you don't handle automation, you simply pass the gesture data down to all of your plugins. Each sequencer plugin, because it does handle automation, then interprets the gesture data and does not send it down to its plugins.
So I'm not saying that every host will always pass gesture data to its plugins. In fact, in lots of cases hosts will never pass gesture data down. But there are legitimate cases where we will want to pass gesture data, so GMPI should be capable of doing so.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems