[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:43:33 -0500

Thanks for your response. Please, focus on the musical requirements, the
use cases and musical examples, not on my own ideas for how to fulfull
those requirements.

The musical requirements are to provide GMPI plugins that data they require
(a) to synchronize internal scores, score generators, and event processors
with the host's performance, e.g. to generate an accompaniment to a stored
sequence with "feel", and (b) to transmit performance gestures to plugins
such that they can modify synthesis in accordance with the intention of the
gesture. It helps if the gestural data (turning a knob, e.g.) is tied to
the note or notes (voice or voices) that knob is meant to affect (e.g.,
vibrato rate for strings playing a specific Ebm9). It would be unwise to
assume that knob copntrols a "timbre" or "instrument" as a whole; it might
well control one specific note (Yamaha used to make a fancy electronic
organ in which each key had a separate key pressure sensor and could apply
vibrato to each note independently).

My experience as performer, composer, and above all listener has taught me
music software consistently falls short of these requirements -- FAR short.
My experience as a developer has taught me that plugin specifications make
oversimple assumptions, and these can be (somewhat) defended against by
providing access to ALL data on the other side of the interface.