[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: "Michael Gogins" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:45:28 -0500

Some plugins will process gestures or generate gestures. It will be much
better if plugins CAN know everything the host DOES know about running the
plugin or reading the scores and sequences.

Let me propose that as meta-requirements:

GMPI shall provide to plugins all information present in scores and
sequences. This presupposes some agreement as to score and sequence
representation (extended MIDI, NIFF, Music XML, just a list of possible data
elements, etc.).

GMPI shall provide to plugins all data used by hosts to control plugins.

GMPI shall link gestural data to the note or note to which the gesture
controls by note ID.

Such data shall be provided either by request, or through iterators on
traversible data structures.

Plugins shall be able to instruct the host to filter incoming events. Some
plugins may request only note on-note off type data. Others may request page
turns, full dynamic markings, and changes of meter.

Michael Gogins
gogins at pipeline period com
Irreducible Productions
CsoundVST, an extended version of Csound for programming music and sound
Available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/csound/