[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:17:36 -0500

"Just sufficient" depends on purpose. It also depends on the elegance of
the interface. Protocols found insufficient: MIDI, VST. Protocols long in
use yet still not found insufficient: SQL92, TCP/IP, XML. A simple
interface with a high degree of data abstraction is what we need. This is
not inconsistent with efficiency.

Again, I feel I started this discussion down the wrong path by complaining
about inadequate implementation assumptions instead of incomplete musical
use cases and vague requirements.

How do you propose satisfying the use cases I have mentioned: plugins that
generate accompaniments for recorded sequences with "feel", plugins that
process and generate streams of events in synchronization with the host,
and controllers that are bound to specific notes of specific voices?