[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:04:09 -0500

Evidently we do not agree as to the meaning of the word "gesture". To me,
it means a physical performance gesture, like bowing a fiddle, or an analog
thereof, like touching a pad. Therefore, a gesture can control more than
one parameter at the same time (as a fiddle bow controls both volume and
vibrato, and even timbre depending on how near the bridge it is; or when an
x-y controller is used). Futhermore, obviously more than one gesture can
occur at the same time, as when a guitarist slams the whammy bar and steps
on a wah-wah pedal. The requirement for gestural control is to represent a
high volume of multi-parametric control data that is assigned to one or
more specific voices, unit generators, or instruments or sets of
instruments.