[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:36:59 +0000

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:17:36 -0500, gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> "Just sufficient" depends on purpose. It also depends on the elegance of
> the interface. Protocols found insufficient: MIDI, VST. Protocols long in
> use yet still not found insufficient: SQL92, TCP/IP, XML. A simple
> interface with a high degree of data abstraction is what we need. This is
> not inconsistent with efficiency.

I'm, not sure that I'd describe VST and MIDI as insufficient - I'm not
particualrly fond of either but they can both cover 99% of the cases well
enough. They do the job.

> Again, I feel I started this discussion down the wrong path by complaining
> about inadequate implementation assumptions instead of incomplete musical
> use cases and vague requirements.

Yes, OK, the usecases are valid, however I think that (for practicality)
we should say that some usecases are just outside the scope of GMPI (not
that these are).

Personally I'd like to see a /good/ 99% solution - covering the vast
majority of cases well, and making the rest harder, but possible.

> How do you propose satisfying the use cases I have mentioned: plugins that
> generate accompaniments for recorded sequences with "feel", plugins that
> process and generate streams of events in synchronization with the host,
> and controllers that are bound to specific notes of specific voices?

To me it seems like those just require a decent beat marker + tempo data
implentnation - I dont think any of those couldn't be implemented with
that.

It doesnt require any low-level access to the hosts data structures, just
a sufficient representation in the GMPI API. I dont think they even
require generating or altering tempo map data, do they?