[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:17:13 -0700

Honestly, Tim, if you're not going to answer my questions, then I don't see why I should continue to spend so very much time and energy answering yours. Like Bill, I'm now officially frustrated.

-- Chris G.

> >You can guarantee me that no one will do an Int24 plugin for x86?

That's not the relevant question. The relevant questions, IMHO, are: Does anybody actually want to do that, and if so, do we think their reasons are good enough to justify imposing on all GMPI developers the burden that supporting that would incur?

Let's get this in the open: What burden? Before you read on, please write your answer. I really honestly don't see how they are not isomorphic. below you will find my view of the development burden.

The development burden:

Support 1 profile (vast majority of plugs):
 * hardcode the profile ID
 * assume the datatype
 * code 1 code path

Support N profiles:
 * offer a list of profile IDs
 * code N code-paths for different datatypes

vs

Support 1 datatype (vast majority of plugs): * hardcode the datatype ID * assume the datatype * code 1 code path

Support N datatypes:
 * establish N single-type builds
 * code N code-paths for different datatypes