[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:36:46 +0100

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:18:10 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> Supporting only floating point would make GMPI impractical for most
> devices in the mobile category, which we previously decided to
> address.  My company's audio engine (Beatnik, which is a good
> datapoint [even if we never decide to support GMPI] since it's
> licensed by about 75% of worldwide mobile phone companies) uses a 24
> bit integer signal path and there is no HW float support on some of
> these platforms.

I think the decision was that we would only support devices that supported
IEEE float. One of the aims is for source compatibility across platforms
and thats not possible if we have some platofrms using all integer/fixp
and some using all float.

However, I like your idea of profiles, as long as its is made clear that
there should only be one profile per platform, eg. desktop hosts would not
be expected to support fixedpoint or integer profiles.

There still wouldn't be source compatibility between profiles of course,
but there would still be a common design principle.

Whats your feeling on how long it will be until the majority of palmtops
have hardware float support? It may be that they are common enough that
the fixedpoint profile is not interesting by the time GMPI is ready for
release.

- Steve