[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

> >You can guarantee me that no one will do an Int24 plugin for x86?
>
> That's not the relevant question.  The relevant questions, IMHO, are:
> Does anybody actually want to do that, and if so, do we think their
> reasons are good enough to justify imposing on all GMPI developers
> the burden that supporting that would incur?

Let's get this in the open:  What burden?  Before you read on, please write
your answer.  I really honestly don't see how they are not isomorphic.
below you will find my view of the development burden.

The development burden:

Support 1 profile (vast majority of plugs):
 * hardcode the profile ID
 * assume the datatype
 * code 1 code path

Support N profiles:
 * offer a list of profile IDs
 * code N code-paths for different datatypes

        vs

Support 1 datatype (vast majority of plugs):
 * hardcode the datatype ID
 * assume the datatype
 * code 1 code path

Support N datatypes:
 * establish N single-type builds
 * code N code-paths for different datatypes