[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:39:19 +0100

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:16:43 -0400, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   My reasoning: Sub-modular synths, like SyncC modular, where you design
> your own filters, also support single-sample audio feedback (to make IIR
> Filters).  Single-sample processing is beyond GMPI, therefore double
> precision comunication is also out of scope.
> <<<
>
> Why is single-sample processing beyond GMPI?  If it lasts as long as MIDI
> has lasted, then you don't think in 5-10 years time we'll all be building
> systems -- on the desktop -- that have single sample latency?  We'd better
> be...

But the API would be /totally/ different, it will be more like SyncModular
or MPEG4SA. It becomes very important to eliminate per plugin function
calls for one thing. I think they use some kind of VM system (MPEG4SA
does atleast).

I dont see how its sensible to support those two different methodologies
in one API, you wouldn't be able to use the same source or anything.