[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:24:43 -0600

Tim Hockin wrote:

On the assumption that we can live with 7.1.1 for now:

Q 7.1.2: Do we support multiple audio datatypes (e.g. float, double, int)?

  a) Yes.  Each audio port of a plugin has a list of datatypes it can
     accept.  Format is negotiated at connection time.

  b) Yes.  Each audio port of a plugin has a single datatype, which the
     host must ensure is provided.

  c) Yes.  Each plugin has a single datatype for all audio ports, which
     the host must provide, or reject the plugin.  This allows for
     adaptor/wrappers plugins.

  d) Yes.  Similar to C, but more limited.  All plugins are either 32bit
     I/O or 64bit I/O.  Plugins have a plugin-global flag which identifies
     their I/O.  Simple GMPI32<->GMPI64 plugins can be part of the SDK.

e) No. Everything uses Float32, for now.

f) No. Everything uses Float64, for now.

g) Other. Explain.

(g). Plugins have 2 process calls, Process32() and Process64(). By default in the GMPI headers, Process64() maps directly to Process32 with casting back and forth. Plugins who wish to override/supply their own Process64 routine can do so. Plugins who do not wish to do so can simply implement Process32, and 64 bit will be transparently handled for both the host and plugin.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems