[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:29:22 +1200

> Our requirement then is:  Plugins have single I/O datatype for all inputs
> and outputs.  How it is done is not yet important, I think.
>
> Now get everyone to agree to that requirement.

Hi Tim,

Can I suggest per pin I/O datatype.

Reason: Allows datatype converters to be plugins.  e.g. float to 16 bit
converter (to convert float to 16bit for soundcard).

I'm thinking that the final stage of production is often converting your
audio down to 16 bit to burn to CD.  So it's nice to be able to plugin a
variety of 3rd party converters (there's a range of dither techniques
available, some copyrighted).  So the conversion process is not something
you always want to leave to some generic host routine

Best Regards,
Jeff