[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:38:00 +0100

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 04:00:49PM -0400, Bill Gardner wrote:
> At 06:22 PM 6/12/03 +0100, you wrote:
> >Thats much more work to support, why dont you just want fixed format per
> >plugin?
> >
> >I also dont see why its neccesry to negitiate the number of channels.
>
> You mean compile a different plug for every possible runtime configuration?

No, theres a world of difference between totaly fixed and negitiation, when I
hear negotiation I think of telnet negotiation, which is extremely hard
to implement (correctly).

> Now, we can think of packaging all of these inside one container. The plug
> tells the host what formats it can handle, and then one format is chosen.
> This is what I call "negotiation".

OK, it doesn't neccesarily have to be one plugin that decides what
internal code to use, you could have a set that are hinted to be
functionally the "same" to the host, so it can pick the one that matches
the i/o configuration it has. That would also solve the twin mono v's
stereo compressor problem.

I dont know if thats a sensible approach or not though, I'l have to think
about it.