[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:34:26 -0400

>*24 bit integers are here now, used in card-based DSP.

  [ ... ]

>As before, I expect most of us to live in the 32 bit float world. The
>double-precision and 24 bit crowd would play in their own sandpit, happy in

IEEE 32 bit floating point permits bit-for-bit representation of any
24 bit sample value with no loss of accuracy until scaling occurs that
takes it "out of range". there are 24 bits in the mantissa, so until
you exceed +/- 1.0, the FP value is a perfect representation of the
input 24 bit value.

some software doesn't honor this correctly, but that shouldn't obscure
the fact that IEEE 32 bit float format *is* a 24 bit sample format,
but with huge amounts of added headroom for mixdown, bussing etc.

--p