[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.3: Unconnected inputs/outputs

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Steve Harris wrote:
> Hmm... the randomise example is not a problem, because the plugins have
> to share a common seed anyway, otherwise the state will be different if
> you do save, load, save, which is bad.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about loading individual instances of
the plugin for each channel.  I guess I don't really know much about this
seed/sub-instance approach that you are talking about that LADSPA uses.
It sounds to me then like it might be more of an internal design decision
that the plugin author makes, or is this a part of the LADSPA interface?
Sorry, I'm just not familiar with what you are talking about.

> How do you support this behavious in plugins systems other than AU?

Well, aside from AU, we support VST in Windows for our effects.  That is
much more limited.  You just choose a single i/o config and that's it,
that's what the plugin does.  There's a lot of desired behavior that we
don't get with VST, but that's because it's an inadequate API.  ;)

I've heard that there are some VST hosts that will instanciate multiple
instances of a plugin to get more channels of processing and try to link
them in a way that's transparent to the user.  I know that that would not
work properly with a lot of our stuff, but I haven't ever actually tried
such a host.

Marc

http://calendar.yahoo.com