[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:17:07 +0100

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:30:22 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> How so (reconsidering)?  I began the conversation wanting Float32 hardcoded,
> fixed.  Period.  Then I realized that some systems will need int, or will
> not work.  Then I realized that if we don't accommodate Float64 NOW it will
> be pain LATER.  So I've arrived at my position that a single plug-global
> datatype is the right mix of simple and flexible.

It is far less painful to have a discriminator (version number, whatever)
at a later date which marks out a plugin as double, one one hand you have
to write description, buffer reading code or whatever for every port of
every plugin, and on the other you just set a flag and get on with it.

I dont think that non-plugin developers really understand the problem.
When GMPI is finalised I will have on the order of 50 plugins I will want
to port (I think Vincent has even more), if I can save 500 lines of API
cruft per plugin that is 25k lines less I have to write.