[cryptome] Re: Is This a Hoax: Backdoor to Wireless Router

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 12:02:04 -0400

Doug,

Changing/adding a password and changing the name of the network is more
than 90+% of the population can be bothered to do these days -which is what
makes them so susceptible...

NAT and firewall are a good start - I'm somewhat on the paranoid side
(being a life-long IT type guy) and I'm aspiring to implement a system
similar to the DISA's HBSS (Host Based Security Solution) that gets
deployed to all ADP assets in the DoD...

The way that my setup works is that the hub (a relatively dumb device, by
networking standards) is inserted between the ISP and the router - since
the ISP delivers my broadband connection as a pure Ethernet drop, I can use
the hub to connect another machine in, before the router level, and "sniff"
all of the traffic going back and forth.  Using a product like Wireshark
(free software, highly recommended, been using it for years), I can look at
all of the traffic that's leaving my network as well as what's coming in
from the ISP.  See where data is coming from, where it's going... full
transparency of all of the data going back and forth as well as the
content.  By dumping all of this over to a second machine that acts as a
simple recording and analysis system, I can track hacking attempts,
attacks, etc. and report them as needed.

--- A
"InfoSec - it pays to be paranoid..."