[cryptome] Re: Is This a Hoax: Backdoor to Wireless Router

  • From: Neal Lamb <nl1816a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 15:59:26 -0700

I have this book "The Death and Rebirth of the Seneca" by Anthony F.C. Wallace
if you need help with
the bulldog, Shaun.............
lol

On Friday, July 4, 2014 5:56 PM, Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dougie !
Do I take that as a challenge to partake in  some verbal jousting?
hmm,,,, I will give that some thought.

ATB
Shaun

On 04/07/2014 23:12, doug wrote:

Hi Shaun,
Normal is normal...and you shouldn't forget it...and if you do,
        it will be at your own cost...Prime ministers and Presidents are
        normal, bureaucrats and civil servants are normal, those who
        hold political office and offices of state, are normal, they
        always tell the truth, the way it is, and there is no dissenting
        from that..  Like George Washington, one of their norms is that
        they don't tell lies.  Is that not something which is taught to
        each American child at school?  Now, I don't know whether George
        Washington told a lie or not, and I am prepared to give him the
        benefit of the doubt, and I am prepared to be proved
        wrong...but, to be honest, I have never come across one single
        lie that George Washington ever told, so, on the basis of
        assumption, and till I am proved wrong.  George Washington never
        told a lie.  The whole of the US constitution is based on that
        fact...Are you...or anyone else for that matter, really going to
        challenge it...Give me proof...if you dare.

Like, saluting the flag.  I remember, in my younger days,
        studying the American Constitution and the law surrounding it.
        And, an important and most famous case which went all the way to
        the Supreme Court, was on the question of whether Jehovas
        Witnesses at their school should be forced to salute the US Flag
        every morning.  The Jehovas Witnesses point of view, was that
        there was a higher authority than the United States Constitution
        which defined how their religion carried out its practices and
        theories, it was a person called God.  The US Supreme Court
        said, "No".  And their reasoning was. " By saluting the flag
        every morning, this was the symbol which re-inforced and
        protected the freedoms for the likes of Jehovas Witnesses  in
        conducting their religion...
Discuss...?
P.S. Why don't I, as a citizen of the world, have the same
        rights as a US citizen when it comes to having my bank account
        and my private affairs and data compromised?  Am I one of those
        lessers, who isn't entitled to human rights from the US.

On 04/07/14 22:32, Shaun O'Connor wrote:

Normal?wtf is that when its about??lol

Each person, each organization, each government, each country
        has their own idea of"normal" and what is considered "normal"
        today might be considered  abnormal tomorrow.
so , yeah normal is just a ward.a collection of symbols if you
        like(when written down) which means different things to
        different people and changes rather quickly ( a bit like the
        British weather)

On 04/07/2014 22:24, doug wrote:

HI Andrew,
Tx for taking the time to reply.  I have a lot to learn on
            these things being a newbie to security and computers and
            such like. I have heard of Wireshark, but did wonder what it
            was all about, and I did visit the website and I did think
            about downloading it...but then I couldn't think of anyone
            with whom I could exchange information which had to be so
            secure and secret...or even confidential;;but after reading
            n Cryptome at url;
http://cryptome.org/2014/07/nsa-tor-de.htm

I thought the better of it.  Apparently, according to the
            report...and I don't know how "true" it is or how much
            credibility it has, amongst those whom I respect in the
            security industry.  I have looked at "Tails" and at "TOR"
            and am most annoyed to find out that the NSA considers me as
            an "extremist" because i am one of those people who would
            like to protect their privacy.  Now, I have never downloaded
            TOR or Tails, because i have yet to find a need for it, but
            I don't see why my curiosity should be rewarded by being
            considered to be extreme.  it makes me wonder about the NSA
            and its philosophy is all about,  in the sense that does it,
            as an organisation, and as a group of individuals working in
            concert, consider itself as the "norm"... And if it does,
            hopefully someone can explain to me what this norm actually
            is.  Norms and extremities are sociological and statistical
            terms which refer to what kind of behaviour lies inside and
            outside that of which is considered acceptable as the
            normal. Now, the problem for me, is that I have never met a
            "normal" person in my life, and would certainly accept that
            I do have extremes of behaviour, my little obsessions,
            urges, drives, instincts and learned behaviour, dominate my
            life, of that I have no doubt.  And though I consider myself
            as  perfectly normal, i do understand that others can see me
            as perverse and extreme...c'est la vie.
ATB
Dougie

On 04/07/14 17:02, Andrew Hornback wrote:

Doug,

>Changing/adding a password and changing the name of the network is more than
>90+% of the population can be bothered to do these days -which is what makes
>them so susceptible...
>

>NAT and firewall are a good start - I'm somewhat on the paranoid side (being a
>life-long IT type guy) and I'm aspiring to implement a system similar to the
>DISA's HBSS (Host Based Security Solution) that gets deployed to all ADP
>assets in the DoD...
>

>The way that my setup works is that the hub (a relatively dumb device, by
>networking standards) is inserted between the ISP and the router - since the
>ISP delivers my broadband connection as a pure Ethernet drop, I can use the
>hub to connect another machine in, before the router level, and "sniff" all of
>the traffic going back and forth.  Using a product like Wireshark (free
>software, highly recommended, been using it for years), I can look at all of
>the traffic that's leaving my network as well as what's coming in from the
>ISP.  See where data is coming from, where it's going... full transparency of
>all of the data going back and forth as well as the content.  By dumping all
>of this over to a second machine that acts as a simple recording and analysis
>system, I can track hacking attempts, attacks, etc. and report them as needed.
>

>--- A
>"InfoSec - it pays to be paranoid..."
>

>On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>Hi Andrew,
>>Tx for the information...I had a look at the
                          url you provided> I didn't really
                          understand all this techy stuff and it is nice
                          to have it explained in a language I can
                          understand.  I have, on a number of occasions
                          looked at my router, but I must say, apart
                          from securing it with a password and changing
                          the name of the network, I am frightened to
                          touch any of the settings in the router in
                          case I screw things up, so I leave it at the
                          default position.

>>I have a wireless router and a home network,
                          and a number of devices such as computers,
                          tablets, mobile phones and a printer and a
                          back up disk which are connected to it on
                          occasion.  I understand that the home network
                          and the one connected to the ISP are separated
                          by a NAT or firewall which is supposed to
                          protect my home network from outside
                          intrusion.

>>What would be the benefit of putting in
                          traffic analysis software and what kind of
                          software would you recommend, and where would
                          I put it...in my computer or on the phone
                          line...In this area we have poor broadband
                          width anyway so downloads and uploads are very
                          slow.

--
PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION

--
PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION