[cryptome] Re: Is This a Hoax: Backdoor to Wireless Router

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 22:55:01 +0100

 Hi Shaun,
The problem I have is finding volunteers who are prepared to be the first to die to save the planet...apart from Islaamic terrorists, or the Japanese kamakazi, but they want to do it for religious reasons...and I ain't particularly religious. There is an exception of course in those Americans, called "tunnel rats" who fought As for conspiracy theory. I am a great supporter. it always occurs after the event with great hindsight, and it apportions blame with amazing authority, as if this actually solves the problem. But there you are, I am quite controversial and extremist in that respect...and I wouldn't dream in entering a discussion about it, and in general it becomes so obsessed with a particular conspiracy that it doesn't notice all the other cnspir one of the things that amazes me is 9/11. I have never seen such a plethora of conspiracy theories presented on what actually happened, when it happened, who was responsible for it and what was behind it. Over 3000 people died because of poor security. There was a belief that all incomings to the US was controlled and once one was vetted, then one could do as one liked in the land of the free.

However, every day, as a result of 9/11 (and other developments of course) there are hundreds of thousands of people who have been killed by diverse military actions, and even more forced out of their homes due to US foreign and military policy, and there has been over 5000 deaths (conservative estimates) as a result of "surgical operations" carried out by US predator drones, many of them innocent children, launched by the US on foreign lands. What is lovely about a predator drone is that no US citizen gets killed, or is even put in a risky environment. It is all controlled from Langley of course.

There is a corrolary to that of course, which is based on following the example of ones betters and that is, I dare say, that lots of other nation states, once they have developed the capability, and of course those extremist terrorists in the war on terror will eventually develop their own technologies and predator drones, with which they will attempt to attack the US. North Korea is a mere distraction. My son said to me that he likes Obama, because he loves kids...American kids maybe...but sanctioning predator operations in Afghanistan, and South Yemen and various other places, leads to innocent children and other bystanders being killed. There is a lot to be said for "collateral damage" excuses one, allows plausible denial and so on...but there you are...c'est la vie.

On 04/07/14 19:45, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
most interesting,, and chillingly unsurprising. this alone knocks aside the assumption that some "conspiracy theorists" are deluded.on the wrong track, etc. time and time again the subject of population control keeps coming up in different places not necessarily directly associated with the NSA material.
On 04/07/2014 17:13, Neal Lamb wrote:
Nice interview
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/interview-with-nsa-experts-on-us-spying-in-germany-a-979215.html

On Friday, July 4, 2014 6:39 AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Andrew,
Tx for the information...I had a look at the url you provided> I didn't really understand all this techy stuff and it is nice to have it explained in a language I can understand. I have, on a number of occasions looked at my router, but I must say, apart from securing it with a password and changing the name of the network, I am frightened to touch any of the settings in the router in case I screw things up, so I leave it at the default position.

I have a wireless router and a home network, and a number of devices such as computers, tablets, mobile phones and a printer and a back up disk which are connected to it on occasion. I understand that the home network and the one connected to the ISP are separated by a NAT or firewall which is supposed to protect my home network from outside intrusion.

What would be the benefit of putting in traffic analysis software and what kind of software would you recommend, and where would I put it...in my computer or on the phone line...In this area we have poor broadband width anyway so downloads and uploads are very slow.

On 03/07/14 19:34, Andrew Hornback wrote:
Ryan,

Good points, but I think this might explain part of my tactic -
http://www.asante.com/support/routerguide/faqs/hardwared.html

Understanding the differences between hubs, switches and routers is paramount to starting to understand TCP/IP...

--- A

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 4:32 AM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:ryacko@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I don't trust anything I don't understand or could do myself.

    I personally would prefer to avoid encryption and maintain
    physical security.

    On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Shaun O'Connor
    <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        hmmmm interesting yes however some of the links within the
        document either lead to a blank page or just time out.
        coincidence or otherwise this info and similar has been
        popping up within days of me complaining about unexplained
        multiple connection drop-outs.

        On 02/07/2014 21:16, Andrew Hornback wrote:
        Hoax or not, this is exactly why my home network includes a
        strategically placed hub and a separate system dedicated to
        traffic analysis.

        --- A

        On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:59 PM, doug
        <mailto:douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote: