[cryptome] Re: Is This a Hoax: Backdoor to Wireless Router

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 00:33:58 +0100

Hi Neal,
But is it Seneca the elder, or Seneca the younger we are looking at, there is nuffink worse than having uncommon ground over which to conduct a dispute...it gets very confusing. And I leave the bulldogs to Winston Churchill. Did you know that he kept a cat at his home in Kent, old warmonger that he was? What would the Brits and the Americans have done without him during the Second World War? He left in his will, an instruction that there shall always be a cat at Chartwell, his home in Kent. The trustees have only just replaced the latest cat, as the previous one was past its "keep by" date. The house is now owned by the National Trust, a heritage organisation here in England which preserves ancient estates and landed gentry, now that the country has moved on from feudalism to capitalism. My wife and I visited it many years ago, had an excellent lunch in the restaurant there, his dining room was set to receive all of those "high and mighty" from the US whom he had to convince to become involved in the Second World War; and I felt enormous pleasure to be able to spend as long as I liked in his study and muse over his writings and the part he played, during his time "out in the wilderness" in the late 1930s, and then hosting all those dignitaries who visited during and after the war...not that I agree with his politics you understand...but politics were so much simpler in those days...A bit like the Cold War and the Iron Curtain... A bit like George W Bush and "you are either with us, or agin us" Mission Accomplished.

And did you know that he built a wall, actually did it himself, and that the Bricklayers Union, here in England, were so impressed with the quality and extent of his work; that they made him an honorary member... My mind boggles at this fact, because I have never been able to understand why someone like him could spend his time building a wall, when he could well afford to get others to do it for him...and as you know, I am a great believer in DIY.

My apologies, that I am so full of useless and irrelevant information to this list. Yet I feel that I have to appeal to those US citizens who are on the list, that they really should visit our country and its environs, and those in other countries which are considered as their enemies, or unfriendly aliens. It isn't at all like Syria or Iran or Afghanistan, and please...don't bomb us or send your predator missiles to destroy our children, we will really be upset and won't love you any more nor will we respect you...but, who am I, and am I speaking to ears which are deaf anyway...And I certainly don't represent the views of my compatriots and fellow citizens...just my little ownio view...
C'est la vie.

On 04/07/14 23:59, Neal Lamb wrote:
I have this book "The Death and Rebirth of the Seneca" by Anthony F.C. Wallace if you need help with
the bulldog, Shaun.............
lol

On Friday, July 4, 2014 5:56 PM, Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dougie !
Do I take that as a challenge to partake in  some verbal jousting?
hmm,,,, I will give that some thought.

ATB
Shaun
On 04/07/2014 23:12, doug wrote:
Hi Shaun,
Normal is normal...and you shouldn't forget it...and if you do, it will be at your own cost...Prime ministers and Presidents are normal, bureaucrats and civil servants are normal, those who hold political office and offices of state, are normal, they always tell the truth, the way it is, and there is no dissenting from that.. Like George Washington, one of their norms is that they don't tell lies. Is that not something which is taught to each American child at school? Now, I don't know whether George Washington told a lie or not, and I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I am prepared to be proved wrong...but, to be honest, I have never come across one single lie that George Washington ever told, so, on the basis of assumption, and till I am proved wrong. George Washington never told a lie. The whole of the US constitution is based on that fact...Are you...or anyone else for that matter, really going to challenge it...Give me proof...if you dare.

Like, saluting the flag. I remember, in my younger days, studying the American Constitution and the law surrounding it. And, an important and most famous case which went all the way to the Supreme Court, was on the question of whether Jehovas Witnesses at their school should be forced to salute the US Flag every morning. The Jehovas Witnesses point of view, was that there was a higher authority than the United States Constitution which defined how their religion carried out its practices and theories, it was a person called God. The US Supreme Court said, "No". And their reasoning was. " By saluting the flag every morning, this was the symbol which re-inforced and protected the freedoms for the likes of Jehovas Witnesses in conducting their religion...
Discuss...?
P.S. Why don't I, as a citizen of the world, have the same rights as a US citizen when it comes to having my bank account and my private affairs and data compromised? Am I one of those lessers, who isn't entitled to human rights from the US.

On 04/07/14 22:32, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
Normal?wtf is that when its about??lol

Each person, each organization, each government, each country has their own idea of"normal" and what is considered "normal" today might be considered abnormal tomorrow. so , yeah normal is just a ward.a collection of symbols if you like(when written down) which means different things to different people and changes rather quickly ( a bit like the British weather)
On 04/07/2014 22:24, doug wrote:
HI Andrew,
Tx for taking the time to reply. I have a lot to learn on these things being a newbie to security and computers and such like. I have heard of Wireshark, but did wonder what it was all about, and I did visit the website and I did think about downloading it...but then I couldn't think of anyone with whom I could exchange information which had to be so secure and secret...or even confidential;;but after reading n Cryptome at url;
http://cryptome.org/2014/07/nsa-tor-de.htm

I thought the better of it. Apparently, according to the report...and I don't know how "true" it is or how much credibility it has, amongst those whom I respect in the security industry. I have looked at "Tails" and at "TOR" and am most annoyed to find out that the NSA considers me as an "extremist" because i am one of those people who would like to protect their privacy. Now, I have never downloaded TOR or Tails, because i have yet to find a need for it, but I don't see why my curiosity should be rewarded by being considered to be extreme. it makes me wonder about the NSA and its philosophy is all about, in the sense that does it, as an organisation, and as a group of individuals working in concert, consider itself as the "norm"... And if it does, hopefully someone can explain to me what this norm actually is. Norms and extremities are sociological and statistical terms which refer to what kind of behaviour lies inside and outside that of which is considered acceptable as the normal. Now, the problem for me, is that I have never met a "normal" person in my life, and would certainly accept that I do have extremes of behaviour, my little obsessions, urges, drives, instincts and learned behaviour, dominate my life, of that I have no doubt. And though I consider myself as perfectly normal, i do understand that others can see me as perverse and extreme...c'est la vie.
ATB
Dougie

On 04/07/14 17:02, Andrew Hornback wrote:
Doug,

Changing/adding a password and changing the name of the network is more than 90+% of the population can be bothered to do these days -which is what makes them so susceptible...

NAT and firewall are a good start - I'm somewhat on the paranoid side (being a life-long IT type guy) and I'm aspiring to implement a system similar to the DISA's HBSS (Host Based Security Solution) that gets deployed to all ADP assets in the DoD...

The way that my setup works is that the hub (a relatively dumb device, by networking standards) is inserted between the ISP and the router - since the ISP delivers my broadband connection as a pure Ethernet drop, I can use the hub to connect another machine in, before the router level, and "sniff" all of the traffic going back and forth. Using a product like Wireshark (free software, highly recommended, been using it for years), I can look at all of the traffic that's leaving my network as well as what's coming in from the ISP. See where data is coming from, where it's going... full transparency of all of the data going back and forth as well as the content. By dumping all of this over to a second machine that acts as a simple recording and analysis system, I can track hacking attempts, attacks, etc. and report them as needed.

--- A
"InfoSec - it pays to be paranoid..."

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Andrew,
    Tx for the information...I had a look at the url you provided> I
    didn't really understand all this techy stuff and it is nice to
    have it explained in a language I can understand.  I have, on a
    number of occasions looked at my router, but I must say, apart
    from securing it with a password and changing the name of the
    network, I am frightened to touch any of the settings in the
    router in case I screw things up, so I leave it at the default
    position.

    I have a wireless router and a home network, and a number of
    devices such as computers, tablets, mobile phones and a printer
    and a back up disk which are connected to it on occasion. I
    understand that the home network and the one connected to the ISP
    are separated by a NAT or firewall which is supposed to protect
    my home network from outside intrusion.

    What would be the benefit of putting in traffic analysis software
    and what kind of software would you recommend, and where would I
    put it...in my computer or on the phone line...In this area we
    have poor broadband width anyway so downloads and uploads are
    very slow.

    On 03/07/14 19:34, Andrew Hornback wrote:
    Ryan,

    Good points, but I think this might explain part of my tactic -
    http://www.asante.com/support/routerguide/faqs/hardwared.html

    Understanding the differences between hubs, switches and routers
    is paramount to starting to understand TCP/IP...

    --- A