[argyllcms] Re: Beta RGB As a Color Workspace

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:59:04 +1000

Andreas F.X. Siegert wrote:

> Why should I support something that I consider obviously wrong and have
> empirical evidence to support my position?
> See http://www.afximages.com/articles.php?article=WorkingColorProfile

Hello Andreas,
        one problem I notice with your article is that input devices like
camera don't have gamuts. It's wrong to plot out the RGB space they encode
their images in as if it was an output device gamut.

Consider : if you set exposure correctly, then every possible light spectrum
will generate camera RGB's that are within the range 0..1.

Input devices have a different limitation in regard to color :- metameric
mismatch.
They can (and often do) "see" color differently to humans, if their sensor
spectral sensitivities are not the same as the human eye. But qualifying this
limitation is not done by plotting out the device value limits of a best
fit translation of their whole RGB space to XYZ.