[argyllcms] Re: Beta RGB As a Color Workspace

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:24:29 -0700

On Jul 16, 2014, at 1:17 PM, Andreas F.X. Siegert <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why should I support something that I consider obviously wrong and have
> empirical evidence to support my position?

It's a question of workflow. Just as the Sports Illustrated crowd would
generally be insane to shoot RAW, for most photographers BetaRGB represents a
better workflow for what they actually do.

The great thing about picking a standard working space for a RAW workflow is
that you can optimize your workflow for what you mostly do, and then alter it
as needed for the occasional exceptions. For most people, that means that
BetaRGB is going to be better for them most of the time, but you can still
switch to ProPhoto or whatever when you really do need it.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil.

b&